AKA Christmas Crafts; AKA My mediocre attempt at a Pinterest project..
So… I saw these super cute DIY cork coasters by Martha Stewart on Pinterest and thought they’d make a great xmas gift for my friends. This year, I’m involved in two secret santa pools with two very close groups of friends and wanted to bring something for everyone (not just my ss). Living in New York is expensive and my budget wasn’t huge so these seemed like the perfect option. Little did I know, Ms. Martha makes things look a lot easier (and way cuter) than they really are.
My first challenge came at the craft store. I went to both Joanne’s and Michael’s and neither of them had round coasters. Michael’s had some square ones so I figured that would do. While I was waiting in the checkout line I was looking at Pinterest (again, it’s seriously an addiction!) and I saw these cute Instagram Coasters.
I thought it would be fun to personalize each coaster set with an initial, stripes, and an Instagram photo of me and my respective friend.
The Instagram coasters were really easy. I just followed the exact instructions from the original post here: http://foammagazine.com/articles/1685-instagram-coasters.
As for the Martha Stewart coasters, I also followed the instructions as well…but I wanted to share what I learned along the way…
1. It REALLY helps if you use Mod Podge (or something like it) on the cork prior to painting. This helps fill in the little groves and makes the paint go on much more smoothly and consistently.
2. Make sure to press the tape and the letters down VERY well or else you end up with something like this:
3. Seal with another one (or two!!) layers of Mod Podge to polish it off.
4. This project takes a lot of drying time so make sure you’re not like me and try to do it the day before you have to give them to anyone.
Also, the cork was kind of flimsy so I wanted to add something to make it look more industrial. Ideally, I would have used a thicker cork or doubled it up but since I didn’t I thought it would be nice to elevate it somehow. Felt bottoms would have worked nicely but I didn’t have any so I used little hex nuts I had from the time I made these.
It was an easy addition and I think it makes for a more finished looking product.
Here are some pictures of the final coaster sets:
Finally, I wrapped them up with some ribbon (that I had) and these cute little holiday tags I made from a sticker and a cut up manilla folder.
Overall it was a fun and relatively simple project. It probably would have turned out better if I hadn’t been attempting to make ten sets (or FORTY coasters) in one night… but for what it’s worth, I think they turned out pretty well.